John-Henry Hill was born in the U.S.A. in 1791. In 1821 he marries Fanny-Francis-Maria Mulligan, and together they come in Athens. In July 1831, Greece's first girls' school (Parthenagogeion) is founded in Plaka, near the Archaia Agora. In the beginning there were a few schoolgirls, but after a few years they reached the number of 500.
In 1834 king Othon proposes Hill to accept girls from various Greek counties and prepare them to become teachers. Thus, the first teacher-training college for girls is created. On the 28th of August king Othon visits Acropolis in an official manner, and the school's girls welcome him in the entrance.
In 1835 the old building of the school is constructed, in the same place that that the school exists today. The nursery school comes into operation. On 8th February of the next year, Othon awards the Hills with golden medals.
On the 2nd of February, 1838, a triumphal entrance in Athens of the newly married royal couple, Othon and Amalia, takes place. The schoolgirls sing a hymn to the young queen, written by Al. Ragkavis and some of them present her with flowers of pomegranate, while others recite poems.
On the 16th of June, 1881, during the School's 50th anniversary, minister of Education Spyridon Romas addresses a document to the Hills, stating the royal satisfaction. In the next year, on the 20th of June, John Hill passes away, and he is buried at the public expense. He spent his last 51 years of his life in the direction of the school. Two years later, on 24th of July, 1884, Fanny Hill dies too, and her niece, Bessie Masson, takes over the task of directing the school. She keeps that position for the next 34 years, during which the boarding school prospers.
In 1918, after the death of Bessie Masson, the 3rd generation of the family, Bessie Masson-Alivizatou and Minnie Masson-Douvalatelli, took over the direction of the school, for the next 39 years. The boarding school ceases to operate during that time. In 1953, Hill girl's school receives a golden medal by the municipality of Athens, for the completion 122 years from its founding.
In 1957, the 4th generation of the Hill family takes over the direction of the school. They are Mary Alivizatou-Panagiotopoulou and Fani Pitsou-Alivizatou, daughter and daughter-in-law of Bessie Masson-Alivizatou. Hill girls' school at that time consists of an infant school, an elementary school and a high school, the latter operating until June 1982 that it was closed.
Instruments with this location:
There are no catalogued instruments with this location.
Instruments with this origin:
There are no catalogued instruments with this origin.